Before Christmas, I found an online supplier of lab chemicals and bought some copper sulphate to do a couple of experiments with my children. We used a car battery charger to do some electroplating, mentioned in this blog and two weeks ago, we managed to do the next experiment with copper sulphate…growing crystals. Here’s the photo.
Three children, three ramikin dishes. Two were full of micro-crystals at the end but the one shown above has some real beauties, up to a centimeter in length! I rememeber doing this experiment at school, oh about 500 years ago and my attempt was a dismal failure, so this was a great result. Just done by dissolving the powder in tap water boiled in a kettle and allowing to sit on a high shelf for several days.